Sometimes when we’re having a busy or stressful day, we don’t feel like we have the time to take a break. But what if a 2-3 minute breathing meditation could calm you just enough to slow down and help you reclaim yourself?
John Selby, in his book “Seven Masters One Path: Meditation Secrets from the World’s Greatest Teachers” explains that our mind can only really focus attention on three things at once. So if, when meditating, we give ourselves three things to do, we have to let everything else fall away – because we don’t have room to focus on anything else!
So, created by my coach and I – a big thank-you to Mary Johnson – this meditation gradually builds from 1) deep breathing, 2) then imagining colour and 3) finally includes a simple phrase to repeat. Super easy, and great to help you refocus and become calm.
Here is an Easy, 3 Step Calming Meditation for You – That You Can Do Anywhere:
- First, take a few deep BREATHS. While you’re doing that:
– Imagine love has a colour. What colour would it be?
– If your anxiety, stress, overwhelm or fear had a colour – what colour would that be?
- Now I want you to simply:
– BREATHE IN the COLOUR you imagined for LOVE, and
– BREATHE OUT the COLOUR you imagined for your ANXIETY, STRESS etc.
– Do this for 3-5 deep, slow breaths, releasing your anxiety and stress.
- Now add in:
– On the IN-BREATH still imagining the COLOUR of LOVE, say “I love myself”
– And on the OUT-BREATH still imagining the COLOUR of ANXIETY, STRESS etc. say, “Just Because”
– Do this for 3-5 deep, slow breaths.
Then slowly open your eyes and return to your day.
You can do this meditation anytime, anywhere, as many times as you need! It helps to say the words out loud, but you can just say the words in your head if you need to.
And if you don’t like the “I love myself… /…just because”, try these instead:
- “I have you… /…I can handle this” or
- “I choose… /…to be calm”
This meditation takes just a couple of minutes, stills your mind and calms your anxiety. It specifically targets our inner critic and helps us love and accept ourselves just the way we are. And when we have ourselves on our side – anything is possible. Enjoy!
We’d love to hear how you got on with this – so post your comments below!
If you liked this article on de-stressing techniques and meditation, you may also like:
- One Easy Way to Calm Down, Slow Down and Focus on What’s Really Important to You
- De-Stress Tips Series: 7 Ways to Reduce Stress in Your Life
- Get (Back) into Meditation – Read True Love by Thich Nhat Hanh
Like this post? Click LIKE or Share below!