Looking at our ‘labels’ is a great way to begin exploring our limiting beliefs. And in this ‘lose your limiting beliefs exercise’ below you’ll get to see firsthand how your labels may be holding you back.
What do I mean by a label? Well, a label is simply a descriptive term used to describe us. And it will have judgements associated with it. For example they can be ‘negative’ (I’m the Office Bitch or Sleazeball) or more ‘positive’ (I’m the Office Mom or Geek).
We may or may not agree with our labels and they can also be things we feel we’ve grown out of (I’m a Daydreamer or Scaredy-cat). And perhaps we think they’re true (I’m Utterly Reliable or I’m Forgetful). They can also be appearance related – for example one of my past labels is that of a Fiery Redhead.
“Labels are for filing. Labels are for clothing. Labels are not for people.”
How to Lose Your Limiting Labels and Beliefs:
- List up to 10 labels that apply to you. Aim for at least 4 or 5 solid labels to work with.
- For each label, consider, is it ‘positive’ or ‘negative’?
- Where did the label come from? eg. Society (eg. TV, books, magazines etc), people (eg. our parents, peers, friends, teachers etc.). Be as specific as possible, naming a specific person if you can.
- Now ask, “Do I agree with this label?”
- What advantages and disadvantages does each label have? How does each label HELP me, and how does it HINDER or LIMIT them?
Learn more the advantages and disadvantages of labels here
- What (if any) goals in my life is this label is getting in the way of me achieving?
- Which labels would you like to keep – and which would you like to ‘lose’?
- Finally what is your action plan? Pick one label and think about a specific situation where this label comes up. When and who are you with? What could you do/how could you behave differently to make the label irrelevant or inappropriate?
A label is just a word. Use this labelling and limiting beliefs exercise to raise your awareness and explore who you really are…
If you liked this article about limiting beliefs, you may also like:
- Do Names Really Not Hurt Us? Why Labels Limit You
- Get Rid Of Your Inner Critic For GOOD With These 3 Simple Techniques!
- 10 Powerful Questions to Solve Problems In Life – and Resolve Nagging Issues!
Like this post? Click LIKE or Share below!