Thinking we can ‘achieve’ balance sets us up for disappointment, because no sooner do we ‘achieve’ it then something changes and we are ‘off-balance’ again.
It’s much better instead, to think of balance as something we are either:
- Moving towards
- Moving away from
How does this help you? Well, instead of trying to ‘achieve’ balance, you just need to ask yourself this simple question, “Am I moving TOWARDS or AWAY FROM Balance?” This is a much easier way to live life!
So, you’re probably moving towards balance if:
- You feel good about how you spend your time.
- Your life is heading in the general direction you want.
- You can see that your energy is improving or on the up.
- On a day-to-day basis, you feel spacious and calm – and that everything is in hand.
- You make a decision – and feel relieved afterwards.
And you’re probably moving away from balance if:
- You’re finding life ‘hard’
- You’re feeling tired or mentally drained much of the time
- You feel like you’re living someone else’s life
- On a day-to-day basis, you feel resentment, overwhelm or wish you were somewhere else.
- You make a decision and feel more stressed afterwards.
Where to go from here? Well, in future when you have a decision to make, ask yourself this question:
“Will saying ‘Yes’ move me TOWARDS or AWAY FROM balance in my life?”
Whether this is a new project or a yoga class, when you can answer this question clearly and honestly AND make the decision that is best for you, you’re on your way to a happier and more balanced life!
Watch out for: Just because it’s a yoga class doesn’t mean it automatically moves you towards balance – if you need a night in, you need a night in. Listen to your HEART!
“Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance and order and rhythm and harmony.” Thomas Merton
and share with your friends and colleagues!